Wednesday, July 26, 2017

DNA, Adoption and Sleuthing out Heritage

Canadian Heritage, the Mountie at Mosaic Canada 150 in Gatineau. The exhibits were beautiful, perhaps thanks to the heavy rains. 


Entertaining ourselves to death. That's what Neil Postman, I think, said about modern life. That's what I have been doing lately.

Well, it is summer and a very, very wet one at that here in Quebec.

I'm not writing much, as I await the launch of a book in November, but I am reading a lot.  The Museum of Innocence right now.  It's a wonderful novel, using a spoiled rich man's romantic obsession to describe Turkey in the 1970's.

It's not a page-turner. I'm going slowly.  I wait for the sun to appear (which is not often) and go out into the yard to read. I move my little spectator's chair around the yard to change my point of view.

My yard is lovely, all right, but the rain is making the trees grow too leafy.

If there's anything wrong with the Museum of Innocence, it's that hearing someone go on and on about his lost love is a bit boring, just like in real life, even if the sad-sack narrator here is inadvertently pithy.

I've also been cooking a lot of new recipes from the New York Times cooking section, trying not to spend too much. Yikes, the price of veggies this wet season!

Small pleasures, when you are not working for pay.

I've also gone back to my recent hobby of fiddling with DNA online.  I had my DNA done in January and was freaked for a few months because the results came in 20% Caucasian (as in Caucasus - Iran) when I'm half French Canadian and half North of England.

On top of that, ALLof  my seven thousand DNA cousins on Ancestry.ca appeared to be of  French Canadian heritage.

For a few months I went berzerk, using bits of DNA on Gedmatch to FINALLY figure out that I am very probably a descendant of Yorkshiremen and people from Northumberland, Cumberland and Westmorland.

These people don't have much of a presence on Ancestry.  They didn't emigrate to North America and they didn't have many children. (Well, the World Wars certainly didn't help.)

The story is all here on this blog. What a history lesson for me.

View from Rye House in Yorkshire, where, supposedly, an ancestor of mine lived.  Most of my Yorkshire ancestors were farmers, the nasty fellows who gave those Vets in All Creatures Great and Small such a hard time.


Being bored, I decided to fiddle with my cousin's DNA, using my new found sleuthing skills. She's adopted.

I think I've figured out who one pair of her great grandparents are, at least.  Irish Catholic. Lots of kids.

My husband's DNA trail is boring. Two first cousins, one on each side, turned up immediately when the results came in. My adopted cousin would have loved to see something like that. I can go through his fourth to sixth cousins, the ones with trees, anyway,  and immediately see where they fit into his tree.

Most are from the Hardy line, the one he shares with General Douglas MacArthur.  This family has been in North Carolina a long time.

My DNA trail on Ancestry, even with a few thousand more people added over the months, continues to confuse me. For instance, I found a DNA  cousin with a Hartley from Colne, Lancashire and a Neesham from Yorkshire, just like I have in my tree. Hooray!

You would think this was proof of my English heritage, but no. Not at all. This person also had an Audet from St-Jean, Quebec, and yes, we share an ancestor, Nicolas Audet, pioneer off the boat in 1600's New France, married to Madeleine Despres, yet another Fille de Roi to add to my collection.  (It's easy to trace French Canadian ancestry as I've written here on this blog. The English tree is likely filled with errors - and, ah, those irksome non-parental events.)

So, I sent an Ancestry DNA kit to my older brother in Denmark to get this confusion over with.

Meanwhile, I continue to play with my cousin's DNA. She is half French Canadian like me, but we share no DNA.

We do share a few cousin matches, though.  One such match, with whom we both share 25 or so centimorgans of DNA, is a guy who is 3/4 German with one French Canadian line.

That French Canadian line is easily traced, of course.  I immediately discovered my cousin's connection to him by using Gedmatch, but mine, that's taking more time.

I'm wondering if it's a WW1 non-parental event. No doubt, those happened.

This DNA stuff is very complicated.



I share a lot of DNA with people with Boyes from  North Yorkshire in their tree.